- "There are worlds beyond our own
The compass will show the way."
- —Official tagline
The Golden Compass is the film adaptation of Northern Lights, the first book of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. The film was released on 5 December, 2007 by New Line Cinema. The project was announced in February 2002, following the success of other recent adaptations of fantasy epics. With a budget of $180 million, it is one of New Line's biggest-budget projects ever after a series of box office disappointments preceding the release.
Before its release the film received criticism from both secular organisations and fans of His Dark Materials for the dilution of the religious elements from the novels, and also theist organisations — in particular, it was the subject of a boycott campaign by the U.S. Catholic League due to perceived anti-Catholic themes.
- Dakota Blue Richards as Lyra "Silvertongue" Belacqua
- Nicole Kidman as Marisa Coulter
- Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel
Jordan College staff
- Jim Carter as John Faa
- Tom Courtenay as Farder Coram
- Clare Higgins as Ma Costa
- Steven Loton as Tony Costa
- Michael Antoniou as Kerim Costa
- Mark Mottram as Jaxer Costa
- Paul Antony-Barber as Bolvangar Doctor
- Jason Watkins as Bolvangar Official
- Jody Halse as Bolvangar Orderly
- Hattie Morahan as Sister Clara
- John Bett as Thorold
- Sam Elliott as Lee Scoresby
- Christopher Lee as First High Councillor
- Edward de Souza as Second High Councillor
- Simon McBurney as Fra Pavel
- Derek Jacobi as Magisterial Emissary
- Freddie Highmore as the voice of Pantalaimon
- Kristin Scott Thomas as the voice of Stelmaria
- Kathy Bates as the voice of Hester
Differences between the novel and the film
- Marisa Coulter is supposed to have black hair, but Nicole Kidman was blonde for this film.
- The Holy Church was referred to only as the Magisterium to avoid offending religious organisations.
- Lord Asriel does not, at the end of the movie, split Roger Parslow and his dæmon. This, in the book, allowed him to travel to other worlds in the multiverse.