St Sophia's College was one of the twenty-three colleges of Oxford University in Lyra's world. It was located next to the River Cherwell. The head of the college was Dame Hannah Relf. Lyra Silvertongue studied here.
The college clock struck at eight in the morning and was audible from Lyra's room. Breakfast in the hall, which ended at eight, was a little austere, with cold toast, dry scrambled eggs and porridge. Lyra thought it high-minded but preferable to the silver dishes of kedgeree and devilled kidney and kippers served at Jordan College. St Sophia's was also parsimonious with the heating of rooms in winter.
St Sophia's had a laundry room of washing machines as it was felt it was better for the character of students to wash their own clothes; in contrast, at Jordan, the young gentlemen's clothes were washed by servants.
Behind the scenesEdit
- St Sophia's roughly corresponds to Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford, which is situated in Norham Gardens and was the first women's college in Oxford.
- The Amber Spyglass (Mentioned only)
- Lyra's Oxford
- The Secret Commonwealth
- Once Upon a Time in the North (Mentioned only)
- La Belle Sauvage (Mentioned only)
- His Dark Materials (TV series), Series 1 (Mentioned only)