Nippon was a country in Lyra's world located in Asia. It was made up of a series of large and small islands. A map of Nippon and Corea featured on the Globetrotter list of maps. Coram van Texel had once seen archers in Nippon wait to fire their bows at any moment, but without any nervous excitement. A seal-hunter at the Samirsky Hotel suggested that John Parry's Tartar name could be Nipponese.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Nippon is the name of Japan in Japanese.
- Lyra's Oxford (Mentioned only)
- The Golden Compass (film) (Appears on a map)
- La Belle Sauvage (Mentioned only)
- The Subtle Knife, appendix (Appears on a map)