The flat had large, south-facing windows, meaning that it was filled with light. The decoration was very pretty, with white and gold striped wallpaper, leafy green carpet, and ornaments on the surfaces. Lyra's bedroom was cosy, with cupboards, a dressing table, a chest-of-drawers and a wardrobe. Her bed was much softer than the one she had at Jordan College.
At one point during her ownership of the flat, Coulter held a cocktail party there. It was held during the time that Lyra was at the flat and there were several important attendees, including Carlo Boreal and Professor Docker. Much of the conversation was about the General Oblation Board. It is unknown what happened to the flat after Coulter's death.
Behind the scenes Edit
- In the BBC adaptation of His Dark Materials, Coulter's flat is located in the penthouse of a building based on the Art Deco Shell-Mex House (80 Strand), facing towards the Victoria Embankment and Waterloo Bridge. The flat is accessible only by private lift and features a long lobby that ends in Coulter's study, as well as a room for Lyra, a bathroom, a dining room, a sitting room and roof terrace. The style is Art Deco, featuring marble and parquet flooring, as well as innumerable lamps, paintings, glass objects, bronze clocks and a large grand piano. There is also a series of grills and ventilation shafts through which the Golden Monkey moves at distance from Coulter.
- In The Golden Compass, the exterior of Coulter's flat was based on the West London Palladian Villa, Chiswick House.
- Northern Lights
- Northern Lights - The Graphic Novel
- The Golden Compass (film)
- The Subtle Knife (Mentioned only)
- His Dark Materials (TV series), Series 1
|Buildings||Marisa Coulter's flat • October House • Royal Geological Museum • Shot Tower • White Hall Palace|
|Locations||Chelsea • Clarice Walk • Clerkenwell • Denmark Street • Falkeshall • Falkeshall Gardens • Grand Junction Canal • Graveyard with mausoleum • Hangman's Wharf • King George's Steps • Limehouse • March Road • Mortlake • Oakley Street • River Thames • White Hall|
|Organisations||Chthonic Railway • London coffee-stall • London pharmacy • Royal Arctic Institute|
|Natives||Annie • Bishop of London • Tony Makarios • Tony Makarios's mother • Unidentified pharmacy shopkeeper|
|Important||Marisa Coulter's cocktail party|