- "Lyra didn't often climb out of her bedroom window these days..."
- —Blurb quote[src]
The book begins with Lyra and her dæmon Pantalaimon watching a flock of birds attacking another bird which they rescue. He turns out to be Ragi, the dæmon of a witch named Yelena Pazhets. He claims that his mistress is ill, and to be searching for the alchemist Sebastian Makepeace to find a cure. Lyra helps Ragi, but it turns out to be a trap laid by the witch, who wants to kill Lyra in revenge for the death of her son, who died in the war against the Authority, and frame Makepeace, the boy's father, for the crime.
As well as the short story, the book includes a few extras:
- A map of Oxford, published by Globetrotter, with catalogues on the reverse.
- Two pages from Jericho, a Baedeker about this neighbourhood in Oxford.
- A postcard sent by Mary Malone to Angela Gorman.
- A leaflet about a cruise on the S.S. Zenobia, with a handwritten note reading 'Café Antalya, Süleiman Square, 11a.m.'.
- A list of books and catalogues published by Smith and Strange Ltd.
- A list of maps made by Globetrotter.
- A sneak peek of a short story connected to La Belle Sauvage from The Book of Dust series. It was included in a re-print edition by Yearling.
|Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials|
|Main Trilogy||Northern Lights • The Subtle Knife • The Amber Spyglass|
|The Book of Dust||La Belle Sauvage • The Secret Commonwealth • The Book of Dust Volume Three|
|Companion Books||Lyra's Oxford • Once Upon a Time in the North • The Collectors • Green Book|