The General Oblation Board was part of the Magisterium. The leader of the board was Marisa Coulter. Children called them the Gobblers, although they were unaware of who was running it and what their intentions were. They were also unaware that it was part of the Magisterium. Many children claimed to have witnessed them, one being the gyptian Charlie.
One of the principal activities of the General Oblation Board was intercision, separating children from their dæmons to prevent them from attracting Dust. They believed that what they were doing was reversing original sin and making the world perfect again while in reality they were removing the children's souls.
Behind the scenes
- Intercision is strongly similar to castration, which was practised by the Catholic Church of the real world in the Middle Ages. It's also similar to the early psychosurgical procedure of lobotomy, which involved severing the prefrontal cortex from the rest of the brain to produce effects akin to those of intercision.
- Northern Lights
- The Golden Compass (film)
- The Golden Compass (video game)
- The Amber Spyglass (Mentioned only)
- His Dark Materials (TV series), Series 1