Brytain was an island in Lyra's world, equivalent to Britain in Will's world and referred to as 'Brytain and the Isles'. Like the United Kingdom, it contained the unified countries of England and Wales, as well as the Fen-country of Eastern Anglia. Its currency was the gold dollar. Brytain was also known as Albion and was first inhabited, according to Diania, by fairies.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Northern Lights
- The Golden Compass (film)
- The Subtle Knife
- La Belle Sauvage
- The Secret Commonwealth
- Once Upon a Time in the North (Mentioned only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Northern Lights, Chapter 3
- See Lyra's Oxford, Globetrotter map
- The Globetrotter map specifies England and Wales railway routes, however makes no mention of Scotland or Northern Ireland, which may then belong to the English Kingdom or some other kingdom.
- As the Globetrotter specifies 'Eastern Anglia and the German Ocean' it may be that Eastern Anglia is connected politically with Holland and the Low Countries; see Northern Lights ch. 7 'John Faa': 'The gyptians ruled in the Fens. No one else dared enter'; also see ch. 10 'The Consul and the Bear' where Farder Coram speaks of 'the Fen country of Eastern Anglia'.
- Albion is another name for Britain in our world, and thus the Albion referenced in La Belle Sauvage is likely referring to the equivalent in Lyra's world.
- La Belle Sauvage, Chapter 21
- The Subtle Knife, Chapter 9
- The Secret Commonwealth, Chapter 29